Forensic Chemistry > 2. Analysis of organic material can distinguish plant and animal material > Glucose as a Monomer >
Identify glucose as a monomer and describe the condensation reactions which produce sucrose as an example of a disaccharide
– an example of monosaccharide which is a primary source of energy
– produced from photosynthesis of plants
– released upon digestion of starch
– can undergo condensation reaction with fructose to produce the disaccharide, sucrose
Figure 1. Formation of sucrose (table sugar) via ether linkage of α-glucose and β-fructose.
– also undergoes condensation reactions to produce polysaccharides such as glycogen, starch and cellulose