Students learn to:
- discuss the need for alternative sources of the compounds presently obtained from the petrochemical industry
- explain what is meant by a condensation polymer
- describe the reaction involved when a condensation polymer is formed
- describe the structure of cellulose and identify it as an example of a condensation polymer found as a major component of biomass
- identify that cellulose contains the basic carbon-chain structures needed to build petrochemicals and discuss its potential as a raw material
- use available evidence to gather and present data from secondary sources and analyse progress in the recent development and use of a named biopolymer. This analysis should name the specific enzyme(s) used or organism used to synthesise the material and an evaluation of the use or potential use of the polymer produced related to its properties
Extract from Chemistry Stage 6 Syllabus (Amended October 2002). © 2009, Board of Studies NSW.