Students learn to:
- distinguish between stable and radioactive isotopes and describe the conditions under which a nucleus is unstable
- describe how transuranic elements are produced
- describe how commercial radioisotopes are produced
- identify instruments and processes that can be used to detect radiation
- identify one use of a named radioisotope:
- describe the way in which the above named industrial and medical radioisotopes are used and explain their use in terms of their properties
Extract from Chemistry Stage 6 Syllabus (Amended October 2002). © 2009, Board of Studies NSW.