Forensic Chemistry > 3. Because proteins are a major structural and metabolic component of all living organisms, the analysis of protein samples can be useful in forensic chemistry > The Electrophoresis Process >
Perform a first-hand investigation to carry out the electrophoresis of an appropriate mixture and use available evidence to identify the characteristics of the mixture which allow it to be separated by this process
– In gel electrophoresis, the samples are placed in wells of gel, and a potential difference is applied.
– The molecules are allowed to migrate by the electrical field, depending on their charge and their mobility (related to size):
- Larger molecules will move more slowly compared to small molecules due to resistance experienced by larger molecules which is related to the porosity of the gel
- The higher the charge of the sample, the stronger the attraction with the applied electric field, the faster the ions move.
- Positively charged molecules migrate towards the cathode
- Negatively charged molecules migrate towards the anode
- Neutral molecules remain stationary