Industrial Chemistry > 5. Saponification is an important organic industrial process > The Effect of Soap as an Emulsifier >
Perform a first hand investigation to demonstrate the effect of soap as an emulsifier
Experiment: Determination of the effect of soap as an emulsifier
Objective: To demonstrate the effect of soap as an emulsifier
Materials, Glassware and Equipment:
- 2 x 250-mL large conical flasks
- Vegetable oil
- Distilled water
- Commercial soap
- Transfer about 50 mL distilled water to a large conical flask (Flask 1).
- Add about 50 mL vegetable oil to flask, shake and record the observation
- Obtain another conical flask (Flask 2) and add about 50 mL distilled water.
- Pour out 50 mL vegetable oil into the flask.
- Add 4-5 drops of liquid soap/detergent or a few flakes of solid soap.
- Shake and record the observation
- A cloudy layer of tiny oil droplets was observed upon addition of soap or detergent in the water + oil mixture, indicating that emulsion has occurred and that soap as an effective emulsifier