- The reliability of results in the above procedure depend upon:
- Only sulfate ions in the fertiliser being precipitated by barium ions.
- All of the barium sulfate precipitate being collected by the filter paper.
- The reliability of results in the procedure can be improved by:
- Using a fine analytical grade quantitative filter paper rather than a qualitative filter paper.
- Repeating the experiment several times and comparing the results obtained each time.
- Problems, other than reliability problems, that could possibly be encountered during the procedure, and possible solutions, include the following:
|Filter paper takes a long period of time to dry
|Dry the filter paper in an oven
|Filtration takes a long period of time
|Use a weighed sintered glass crucible