- Pollutant: A substance that has a deleterious effect on the natural environment.
- There are a great number of pollutants in the troposphere, and these are derived primarily from:
- The combustion of fuels in power stations and vehicles.
- The smelting and purification of metals.
- More specifically, the tropospheric pollutants and their sources include the following:
|Carbon monoxide||Incomplete combustion of fuels|
|Sulfur dioxide||• Combustion of fuels containing sulfur impurities.
• Roasting of sulfide ores.
|Nitrogen Oxides||Combustion of fuels at high temperatures|
|Hydrocarbons||• Unburnt fuel from vehicles
• Factories using solvents
|Particulates||• Incomplete combustion of fuels
• Dust storms and earthmoving
|Lead||• Combustion of leaded petrol
• Lead smelting
• Renovations of houses with lead paint
|Ozone||Interaction between sunlight, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides|