Production of alcohols from substitution of halogenated organic compounds
- Alkyl halide when mixed with dry ether and magnesium produces a reagent known as Grignard Reagent which has the general formula RMgX. When this Grignard reagent reacts with carbonyl compounds, alcohols are produced.
- Production of primary alcohol:
- Production of secondary alcohol:
- Production of tertiary alcohol:
Production of alcohols from fermentation
- In presence of yeast, glucose is fermented to produce ethanol and carbon dioxide.
Reference image for reaction: