Safety rules for organic substances
- Safety glasses must be worn to avoid splashes, fumes from coming in contact with the eyes.
- Chemicals should never be touched with bare hands and high quality laboratory gloves should be worn.
- A lab coat should always be used. The less the skin is exposed inside the laboratory the better.
- Chemical reagents should always be stored in labelled bottles and while performing experiments with chemicals, one must be extra careful to not play around with it and use proper amounts during the experiment.
- Organic liquids should never be poured down the drain and should be disposed separately in the ‘Organic Liquid’ waste container located in the fume hood.
- Never sniff chemicals directly from containers.
- Mercury spills from broken thermometers must be cleaned up immediately.