- Alkynes too give similar Hydrogenation reaction. The only difference is that since alkynes have triple bonds and only one of the bonds is broken.
Reaction with Halogens (X2)
- When halogens react with Alkenes the C=C breaks and the halogens are added in the free bonds.
- Alkynes also give similar reactions and the halogens replace a one bond of the triple bonds.
Reaction with Hydrogen Halides (HX)
- Alkenes react with hydrogen halides as follows:
- Alkynes give the following reaction:
Reaction with Water (H2O)
- In presence of high amount of acid which has catalytic effects, Alkenes react with water to form alcohol.
Reference image for reaction:
- Alkynes react with water in presence of acid and mercuric sulphate. The product of hydration of most alkynes are ketones.